Nunavut (2007)

Paul Eggert eggert at CS.UCLA.EDU
Thu Mar 1 22:59:36 UTC 2007

"Chris Walton" <Chris.Walton at telus.com> writes:

> Looks like Nunavut (Territory in northern Canada) has finally
> decided to follow the rest of Canada and the United States.

Thanks for the heads-up; I'll add a comment in the next proposed change.

> the community of Resolute (located on Conrnwallis Island in Nunavut)
> moved from Central Time to Eastern Time last November.  Basically
> the community did not change its clocks at the end of daylight
> saving.  It is not clear whether or not the clocks will change again
> on March 11 of if they will stay fixed on Eastern Standard Time.

>From the article it seems that they will use daylight saving,
since it says they want to stay in sync with Iqualuit.

> Technically this requires a new zone. Ouch.  Is it worth it for a
> population of of 215 people?

I think so, yes; they're a real community and not just a military
post.  America/Resolute sounds like the logical name, since
"Resolute Bay" and "Qausuittuq" are less-often used in English.
I'll add something like that in my next proposed patch.

<http://www.mb.ec.gc.ca/info/news/cc00s20.en.html> says Resolute was
founded on 1947-08-31, so I'll use that as the start date, and it will
have the usual "zzz" marking before that.

Come to think of it, I should do the same for Pangnirtung (founded
1921), Iqaluit (founded August 1942), Rankin Inlet (founded 1957),
Cambridge Bay (founded 1920), Yellowknife (founded 1935?), and Inuvik
(founded 1953).  If anyone has more-exact dates for founding please
let me know.

One bit of trivia I just discovered: the White House Oval Office desk
that George W. Bush uses is made of timbers from the H.M.S. Resolute,
the same Resolute that the town is named after.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resolute_desk>