Microsoft exec says Namibia and Iran have recently changed DST rules

John Gray johngray at winse.microsoft.com
Fri Mar 2 20:42:48 UTC 2007

It was somehow garbled.

Namibia: We had an inversion of DST vs Standard time in the original
KB938388 due to some confusing interpretations. The clock change dates
were correct, but this fixed the DST period.

Iran: We didn't get official confirmation in time for Vista or the Nov
KB938388 on their elimination of DST.

The only two recent changes that affected Windows were Newfoundland and
W. Australia, that were changed after our KB938388.  We aren't granular
enough to track things like Nunavit yet. :)

>From the official KB at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931836

Updates from the previous cumulative Windows time zone update
The following changes have been made since the previous cumulative
Windows time zone update. This was cumulative update 928388, and it was
for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003:* Central Brazilian Standard Time
and E. South America Standard Time
Legal confirmation of 2007 DST laws was not received in time to include
in prior cumulative time zone update. This update also sets the correct
time to 00:00:00 for both time zones.
* Iran Standard Time
Legal confirmation that DST is no longer used was not received in time
to include in prior cumulative time zone update.
* Namibia
Correct DST start and end dates from prior cumulative time zone update.

* Newfoundland Standard Time
Adoption of the U.S. and Canada 2007 DST rules were signed into law
after the prior cumulative time zone update was created.
* W. Australia Standard Time
DST trial period was signed into law after the prior cumulative time
zone update was created.