Zone -12

Paul Eggert eggert at CS.UCLA.EDU
Wed May 2 07:00:27 UTC 2007

Howland Island was observing UTC-10:30 at its most famous moment in
history, which is when Amelia Earhart and Fred Noonan missed it and
were never heard of again.  My source for this is page 206 of the
following reference:

Elgen M. Long and Marie K. Long
Amelia Earhart: the Mystery Solved
Simon & Schuster (2000)

So it appears that Howland Island observed Hawaii Standard Time during
the brief period that it was inhabited during the 20th century.  Since
Baker was colonized by the same effort, I'd say they both observed
Hawaii Time during the entire period of colonization (1935-1945?).

These islands were also occupied by guano miners in the 19th century;
I have no data about that.