zone.tab corrections

Oscar van Vlijmen ovv at hetnet.nl
Sun May 27 12:29:54 UTC 2007

> From: Andy McDonald
> Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 14:16:59 -0400
> Subject: Re: zone.tab corrections

> In the case that Russian is one of the official languages, I would agree
> that no change is required. However this is distinct from the status of
> Russian as being widely understood; certainly many people in the former
> USSR understand Russian, but I would imagine that the average Ukrainian,
> Moldovan, Tajik or Georgian would take issue with a transliteration from
> Russian.

Note that I am a bit lazy (I did most of the Russian names for TZ). Lists
with time zones in Russia and the former Soviet Republics can be found in
Russian. Finding the local names means a lot more work.
The GeoNames server is a great help though. But the transliteration of names
is not always correct.
Best would be: find the name in the original spelling with Cyrillic, Arabic,
whatever characters, find the official or a reliable transliteration scheme
and produce a posix 1 conformant transliteration.
There you see: too much work for me!