zone.tab corrections

Paul Eggert eggert at CS.UCLA.EDU
Tue May 29 06:32:12 UTC 2007

Andy McDonald <andy_tz at stemhaus.com> writes:

> There seem to be a few minor errors in zone.tab (2007f and earlier):
>
> America/Cambridge_Bay:
> zone.tab latitude/longitude is incorrect, according to
> http://www.meds-sdmm.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/meds/Prog_Nat/benchmark/single_station2_e.asp?T1=6240,
> which gives +6907-10504, and my own experiments with Google Earth. Also
> zone.tab comments should be 'Mountain Time - west Nunavut' rather than
> 'Central Time - west Nunavut'

Thanks, I'll change it to:

CA	+690650-1050310	America/Cambridge_Bay	Mountain Time - west Nunavut

as per the followup discussion.

> Antarctica/DumontDUrville:
> The comment should very probably read 'Dumont d'Urville Station', rather
> than 'Dumont d'Urville Base',

> Pacific/Johnston:
> latitude/longitude is incorrect. The CIA seems to have it much closer
> with +1645-16931

> America/Aruba:
> latitude/longitude is incorrect. The CIA seems to have it much closer
> with +1230-06958

Thanks, I'll propagate these fixes too.

> Europe/London: (!)
> latitude/longitude is incorrect - the current value is somewhere in the
> neighbourhood of Syon House in South-west London
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syon_House). Suggestions for a better
> value welcome.

If the BBC says the centre of London is the modern Charing Cross, that's
good enough for me.  I assume the following will do?

GB	+513030-0000731	Europe/London

The following line in "Europe" shouldn't change, though:

Zone	Europe/London	-0:01:15 -	LMT	1847 Dec  1 0:00s

since that "-0:01:15" applies to the obelisk in question.

> Ukrainian time zones Europe/Kiev, Europe/Uzhgorod and Europe/Zaporozhye:
> These might better be named Europe/Kyiv, Europe/Uzhhorod and
> Europe/Zaporizhia, being transliterations of the Ukrainian - rather than
> Russian - place-names.

The tz database prefers the most common English spelling for the place
names in question; this is why we use "Moscow" rather than "Moskva",
for example.  "Kiev" is more popular than "Kyiv" in English.  The
other two names are similar.  If the English spellings change (which
is what happened with Mongolian and Kazakh names) we can revisit this.
In the meantime, I can add some comments about this, and change the
zone.tab entry to look like the following (a similar solution is
already in place for Greenland locations):

UA	+4750+03510	Europe/Zaporozhye	Zaporozh'ye, E Lugansk / Zaporizhia, E Luhansk