zone.tab corrections

Paul Schauble Paul.Schauble at ticketmaster.com
Wed May 30 21:46:15 UTC 2007

________________________________

From: Paul Koning [mailto:pkoning at equallogic.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2007 6:34 AM
To: tz at lecserver.nci.nih.gov
Subject: RE: zone.tab corrections

<snip>

So to get back to Calcutta, or Delhi: you can't very well put the local
spelling of the name in zone.tab unless you're using the local script.
(Which one would that be -- India has at least six.)  Or you could use
the official translateration into the latin alphabet, if there's a
plausible transliteration.  But that wouldn't work for European
languages that use diacritical marks and have no standard way of doing
without them (German does, but I don't think Rumanian does, so how would
you render the local version of Rumania's capital?).

Conclusion: stick with #2, which means stick with "Calcutta" (or
"Delhi") unless and until a different spelling becomes generally
accepted for English language documents.

Paul

You could bite the bullet (US idion) and redefine the zone tables to be
UTF-8.

I'm half kidding (I have Unicode very much on the brain right now). But
I'm sure that will happen sooner or later.

    ++PLS