zone.tab corrections

Paul Schauble Paul.Schauble at ticketmaster.com
Wed May 30 22:45:53 UTC 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Koning [mailto:pkoning at equallogic.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2007 2:55 PM
To: tz at lecserver.nci.nih.gov
Cc: tz at lecserver.nci.nih.gov
Subject: RE: zone.tab corrections

>>>>> "Paul" == Paul Schauble <Paul.Schauble at ticketmaster.com> writes:

 Paul> You could bite the bullet (US idion) and redefine the zone
 Paul> tables to be UTF-8.

 Paul> I'm half kidding (I have Unicode very much on the brain right
 Paul> now). But I'm sure that will happen sooner or later.

Yes, that would be good in some ways.  Not so good in other ways.  It
would be a hassle for travelers who are not sufficiently fluent in the
local language to read the local place names in their specific script.

It also doesn't help the multiple official languages case, though you
could cure that by putting multiple entries, one per language.

      Paul

Yes, exactly. Have one synonym for each local name. Just require that
the English choice always exists.

    ++PLS