FW: London (GMT) notation self-conflicts

Bill Seymour bill-at-the-office at pobox.com
Thu Nov 1 16:03:56 UTC 2007

This newbie would like to take a stab at an answer.

I see London and Dublin, with Belfast a link to London.

I'm not aware of the full common names of time zones anywhere
in the database, just the abbreviations; so the string, "Greenwich
Mean Time", probably comes from the "company's application
servers" that the author mentions.

> These notations are correct only in winter, when all three cities are on GMT.

Yes.

> But in Summer, these cities are GMT+1.

Which is why the summer-time abbreviations are BST and IST,
respectively.  Maybe the "company's application servers" aren't
picking that up.

Does that make sense?

--Bill Seymour