proposed changes to eliminate P macro

Jonathan Leffler jonathan.leffler at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 04:51:41 UTC 2007

On Nov 8, 2007 6:26 AM, Arthur David Olson <olsona at elsie.nci.nih.gov> wrote:

> Here are proposed changes to eliminate the "P" macro from time zone source
> (a first step in simplifying the code by assuming C99 compilers).
>
>                                --ado

I tried to apply this as a patch and run into two problems.

   1. The file names are not readily obvious to the patch program; the
   names it sees are /tmp/geta13002 and /tmp/getb13002 etc, rather than (say)
   date.c.
   2. There should be a 2 characters (eg two blanks, or "! " or "+ ") at
   the start of each line, but by the time Gmail gets the message, there's a
   blank missing at the start of lines such as the #ifndef lines at the start
   of the patch below.  I also had some unfortunate line-wrapping, but I'm
   willing to blame that on the (other) email program I use.
   3. I tried manually fixing up the patch file for the line starts, but
   was not successful.

> ------- date.c -------
> *** /tmp/geta13002      Thu Nov  8 09:23:34 2007
> --- /tmp/getb13002      Thu Nov  8 09:23:34 2007
> ***************
> *** 1,6 ****
>  #ifndef lint
>  #ifndef NOID
> ! static char   elsieid[] = "@(#)date.c 8.2";
>  /*
>  ** Modified from the UCB version with the SCCS ID appearing below.
>  */
> --- 1,6 ----
>  #ifndef lint
>  #ifndef NOID
> ! static char   elsieid[] = "@(#)date.c 8.3";
>  /*
>  ** Modified from the UCB version with the SCCS ID appearing below.
>  */

Did anyone else run into parallel problems, or is it an artefact of the mix
of environments I'm using?

--
Jonathan Leffler <jonathan.leffler at gmail.com>  #include <disclaimer.h>
Guardian of DBD::Informix - v2007.0914 - http://dbi.perl.org