proposed changes to eliminate P macro

Jonathan Leffler jonathan.leffler at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 15:51:07 UTC 2007

On Nov 13, 2007 6:46 AM, Olson, Arthur David (NIH/NCI) [E] <
olsona at dc37a.nci.nih.gov> wrote:

> > I was going to also remove all "register" delcarations, on the premise
> that modern compilers do well without the hints...
>
> My own use of "register" isn't to provide compilers with hints but
> rather to avoid unintended calls by reference; everything starts out
> life as a register variable, and the register only gets dropped if the
> address of the variable needs to be taken.

Interesting usage - not a technique I'd come across before, but that most
certainly does not make it invalid.

I won't consider removing the registers any further (not that I am able to
make direct changes to your code anyway).

--
Jonathan Leffler <jonathan.leffler at gmail.com>  #include <disclaimer.h>
Guardian of DBD::Informix - v2007.0914 - http://dbi.perl.org