FW: DST for Australian timezones not working

Ken Pizzini "tz." at explicate.org
Tue Oct 23 22:59:03 UTC 2007

On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 04:41:52PM -0400, Olson, Arthur David (NIH/NCI) [E] wrote:
> DST END: (not working)
> --------
> [root at a10-10-4-61 root]# date
> Sun Apr 6 02:59:59 CST 2008
> [root at a10-10-4-61 root]# date
> Sun Apr 6 03:00:00 CST 2008

Since "CST" is used for both Savings and Standard time, it is unclear
whether the 02:59:59 timestamp itself is post-transition standard time
or pre-transition savings time, so this snippet fails to unambiguously
demonstrate things as "not working".

To see the transition correctly, we'll use a format that allows us to
see whether CST is referring to standard time (09:30 ahead of UTC) or
saving time (10:30 ahead of UTC).  Since you mention using Fedora I'll
presume you have GNU date, with its "%z" format; here is a faked
example showing what I expect your output to be:
  $ date +'%c %Z %:z'
  Sun Apr 6 01:59:59 2008 CST +10:30
  $ date +'%c %Z %:z'
  Sun Apr 6 02:00:00 2008 CST +10:30