FW: Australian DST abbreviations causing business problems - still

Eric Ulevik eulevik at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 22:54:54 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 7:23 AM, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:
> For abbreviations, it's not clear whether "AEDT" or "EDT" is
> more common, though I suppose "AEDT" has a slight edge.
>
> I'd like to hear more from Australian correspondents on this before
> thinking about specific changes, though.

A federal government web site (eg. http://www.australia.gov.au/Time)
is not authoritative as the time in states is strictly a right of the
states.

The terms 'summer time' and 'daylight saving time' are widely used.
'Australian' as a prefix would be very unusual, as it is commonly
understood. Abbreviations typically omit the 'A'.

Example:

"EST denotes Eastern Standard Time. Summertime or daylight saving time
is commonly expressed as EDST (eastern daylight saving time)."

Reference:

http://www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/Lawlink/cru/ll_cru.nsf/pages/cru_daylightsaving

My guess would be that AEDT is becoming more prevalent on web sites
which are built using systems trying to cover global time zones (eg.
as a dateline in a news story).

Regards,

Eric Ulevik