FW: Incorrect time zone abbreviations for Indonesia

Scott Atwood scott.roy.atwood at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 22:40:21 UTC 2008

Jason,
The timezone abbreviations in the zoneinfo database are not, nor are the
intended to be a fully localized timezone abbreviations for end user
display.

The Common Locale Data Repository (CLDR) project of the Unicode Consortium
is an open project for collecting and disseminating a common set of
resources for localization information.  The scope of the CLDR project
encompasses time zone information, including time zone definitions sourced
from the zoneinfo project, and display names and abbreviations for metazones
(collections of time zones that share display strings) contributed directly
to the CLDR project.

The latest release of CLDR does include localization resources for
Indonesian, but it appears to be missing the resources corresponding to the
metazone names and abbreviations for the Indonesian metazones.  Since you
seem to have knowledge about what these resources should be, I would highly
encourage you or the user who reported the problem to contribute that
knowledge to the CLDR project:

http://unicode.org/cldr/

The project is currently accepting data submissions for the 1.7 release.

You can take advantage of these updated timezone abbreviations for
Indonesian by integrating CLDR into your project, or by integrating a a
project that uses CLDR itself, like ICU.

-Scott

--
Scott Atwood

Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia.  ~H.G. Wells