when did China adopt one time zone?

Thomas S. Mullaney tsmullaney at stanford.edu
Fri Feb 8 20:53:51 UTC 2008

Dear Paul,

Thanks for your email. The dating of "Beijing Time" is a little
tricky, but thanks to Guo Qingsheng, a scholar and engineer at the
Chinese Academy of Sciences Shaanxi Observatory, we know that the
implementation of Beijing Time must have come after September 27,
1949 - the date on which the official name of Beiping (Northern
Peace) was changed to Beijing (Northern Capital) - and some time
before October 7 - the date of the earliest source which Guo has
found containing the term "Beijing Time."

This is a project I started thinking about this past summer - a
fascinating topic, no?

Sincerely,

Tom Mullaney

--