FW: Corrections to historic German timezone information

Paul Eggert eggert at CS.UCLA.EDU
Mon Jan 28 23:59:55 UTC 2008

Thanks for doing that research.  By design the tz database has
separate entries only for regions that are in different countries now,
or where clocks have diverged since 1970.  This is to economize on our
maintenance effort.  Otherwise, we would need hundreds of zones just
for Indiana, and thousands worldwide; our lives are too short to
maintain all that stuff.

Because of this rule, the 1945 divergence doesn't justify having two
separate entries for Berlin.  However, we should have the correct
entry for Berlin, which raises the question: where is the commonly
accepted center of Berlin?  If the center is in the former Soviet
zone, tz's Europe/Berlin should use what is in the proposed
Europe/BerlinEast zone.  If Berlin's center is in the former
west-Berlin zone, Europe/Berlin should change to match what is in the
proposed Europe/Berlin zone.