AW: FW: Corrections to historic German timezone information

Sebastian Wangnick sebastian.nospam01 at wangnick.de
Tue Jan 29 18:18:12 UTC 2008

Dear Paul,

I understand your concern. As proposed, the timezone Europe/Berlin would be applicable for the "western" countries of the state of Germany and the western part of Berlin, and Europe/BerlinEast for what was formerly first the Sowjet zone and later the state GDR, namely the "eastern" countries of the state of Germany (Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Brandenburg, Sachsen, Sachsen-Anhalt, Thüringen) and the eastern part of Berlin. Creation of individual timezones for each of the countries of Germany is thus unneccessary.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:Deutschland_politisch_bunt.png

However, if you can maintain only one timezone for the state of Germany, you should probably use the new definition of Europe/Berlin, limiting the error in 1945 to the smaller territory and population, but please note that this would be considered politically incorrect by said population. In this case we will privately maintain a modified copy of the tz database.

Kind regards,
Sebastian Wangnick