Non-ASCII encoding

Kevin Kenny kkenny2 at nycap.rr.com
Wed Jul 2 01:02:52 UTC 2008

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
>> [1] Yes, there are a few languages other than English whose script only
>> needs 7-bit ASCII.
>
> Of course, English is not one of them.

It would be naïve to think otherwise. English has a handful
of words that need récherché characters.  ASCII presents an
adequate façade, but my 2¢ worth is that English also benefits
from Unicode™.  It even needs the odd symbol from outside
Latin-1 enough of the time that UTF-8 seems a sensible way
to keep our heads above H₂O.

:)

My only request is to give a bit of warning.  Right now, I have
the Tcl version of ZIC coded to expect the input files to be
Latin-1.  It's a one-line change to make them UTF-8, but it's
important to know *when* to make it.

--
73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin