America/Resolute

Chris Walton Chris.Walton at telus.com
Fri Nov 14 03:46:47 UTC 2008

Not that anybody asked... but I thought I would provide an update on America/Resolute.

Some of you may remember that in 2006, the small community of Resolute a.k.a. "Resolute Bay" in Canada's arctic stopped the biannual practice of changing the clocks.
In March of 2007 I initiated the creation of a new Canadian zone named "America/Resolute" with a fixed time of "UTC-5".

The only web reference that I ever came across (other than my own postings) was this:
http://www.nnsl.com/frames/newspapers/2006-11/nov13_06none.html

Since there has been no recent documentation, legislation, news reports, or any other information on this subject,  I decided to place a another call to the Resolute "hamlet office" last week to get an update.
I was able to confirm that Resolute is still stuck on UTC-5.
Thus the current information in the TZ database remains correct.

I will mention, however, that the residents of Resolute believe that they are changing "time zones" twice a year.
In winter months, local time is qualified with "Eastern Time" which is really "Eastern Standard Time (UTC-5)".
In summer months, local time is qualified with "Central Time" which is really "Central Daylight Time (UTC-5)".
I don't think anybody expects the TZ database to accommodate for this... as long as the offset from UTC is correct.

I did notice today that the entry for Resolute in the zone.tab says "Eastern Time - Resolute, Nunavut".
To be consistent with other Canadian zones that don't observe daylight saving time, it should probably say "Eastern Standard Time - Resolute, Nunavut".

-chris