FW: mail to tz list bounced

Olson, Arthur David (NIH/NCI) [E] olsona at dc37a.nci.nih.gov
Mon Nov 24 14:09:13 UTC 2008

I'm forwarding this message from Andreas Radke; while Andreas is on the
time zone mailing list, the message bounced when he tried to send it
directly.

				--ado

Datum: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 21:47:05 +0100
Von: Andreas Radke <a.radke at arcor.de>
An: tz at lecserver.nci.nih.gov
Betreff: optimization -O2 broken?

I'm the ArchLinux package maintainer for tzdata. We are using gcc
4.3.2/glibc2.8- We have run into a small problem with compiler
optimizations.

Using our default CFLAGS="-march=i686 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe" the
zdump binary is built in broken way on i686 architecture. I have to
apply -O1 to make zdump work. See our bugreport:
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/11947

I could confirm this when running zdump -v EUROPE/BERLIN it stuck after
two printing first two lines.

x86_64 architecture doesn't seem to be affected. Any idea why this
happens and how to fix it?

-Andy