Argentina DST blues

Mariano Absatz - El Baby baby at baby.com.ar
Thu Oct 9 20:18:13 UTC 2008

Well... besides the news in this morning's printed edition of "La
Nación" (http://www.lanacion.com.ar/nota.asp?nota_id=1057552) I sent
earlier, now "Clarín" (the other major newspaper here) said 3 hours ago
in its electronic edition
(http://www.clarin.com/diario/2008/10/09/um/m-01777946.htm) the same
information, adding that "*In the coming days*, president Cristina
Fernández de Kirchner will sign the decree that mandates forwarding the
clocks between October 19th and March 14th, 2009(...)" so far for timely
legislation...

The on-line edition of "La Nación" also states
(http://www.lanacion.com.ar/nota.asp?nota_id=1057701) that the Province
of Mendoza will *not* adhere to the DST change this year and that other
Provinces may follow it in the decision.

In fact, a few days ago, the Governor of Mendoza sent a Provincial Law
Project to the Province Legislature saying that the Province will not
change the time even if the Nation does
(http://www.cuyonoticias.com.ar/index.php/politica/1034-mendoza-seguira-la-hora-qpuntanaq.html).

So Mendoza is actually being more timely than the Federal Government.

Maybe we should modify 'southamerica' to note this...

Now, in the complete speculation game, my personal guess is that at
least San Luis will also stay in UTC-03:00 and not apply DST... I dunno
about other provinces.

According to the above article from "La Nación", Provinces which might
not adhere (besides Mendoza and San Luis), include Tucumán, Catamarca
and San Juan...

Worst thing is that I can't seem to find reliable sources other than the
press... and for Provincial matters, the National media are not that
trustworthy...

Regards.

--
Mariano Absatz - "El Baby"
baby at baby.com.ar

I haven't lost my mind, I have it backed up on
tape somewhere.