Discrepancy between zone.tab ordering and northamerica details

Eric Fischer enf at pobox.com
Tue Oct 21 01:18:15 UTC 2008

We just ran into a bug at work where users in US Central Time were
identified as being in America/Indiana/Knox instead of in
America/Chicago because code was running through the list of time
zones in zone.tab looking for the first one that matched the current
GMT offset and DST state, and America/Indiana/Knox is currently
observing CDT and ordered before America/Chicago.

I hope this is actually a use that the file ordering is intended to
support, but even if it isn't, the zone.tab file seems to be
misleading for some Indiana towns.  In particular, northamerica says
that Petersburg is Eastern and Knox is Central, but zone.tab says that
Petersburg is Central and Knox is Eastern.  I've attached a patch to
bring zone.tab into line with northamerica, at least for these two
places.

Eric