Uncertain usage/scope of a possibly standard timezone name 'MEZ-1MSZ'

Stephen A Hellberg HELLBES at uk.ibm.com
Wed Sep 10 12:11:07 UTC 2008

Hello,

I'm not a member of the distribution list, although I believe my enquiry
is covered by its scope, and I wonder whether you might be able to
circulate my enquiry (and return any replies) as my own research has
failed to identify an answer.

I'm trying to service a request to recognise the standard timezone name of
'MEZ-1MSZ', but I've so far not found any documentation to support or
define the scope if this is an acceptable POSIX TZ value and a standard
timezone name.
The suggestion has been made that MSZ is a widely(?) employed alias (in
some region(s) of the Gernan speaking world?) for MESZ that is standardly
defined for "Mitteleuropäische Sommerzeit" (GMT+0200); MEZ being an
accepted acronym for "Mitteleuropäische Zeit".
And, I whilst I can find instances for the use of the standard(?)
'MEZ-1MSZ-2' I have been unsuccessful in locating any equivalence for
'MEZ-1MSZ' itself.  Is MSZ equivalent and a widely accepted acronym
matching MESZ, and if so where and how typical is its use?
How does it differ to the 'MEZ-1MSZ-2' standard?

Can you/anyone advise on the practice of employing 'MEZ-1MSZ' as a POSIX
TZ value or indeed how prevalent its use is, or in which region (likely
related to honouring DST somewhere in the vicinity of Berlin?) and whether
this is directly equivalent to other common/standard names, such as
CET-1CEST?  What should its Olson equivalent be?

(Whilst my inconclusive researches have been more extensive, support for
the above statement appears available readily here (amongst other places):
  http://www.timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/eu/cet.html
  http://www.timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/eu/cest.html

http://www.all-acronyms.com/special/time_zone_acronyms_and_abbreviations.asp
  http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeitzone