Palestine differences

Steffen Thorsen thorsen at timeanddate.com
Wed Apr 8 07:18:47 UTC 2009

Jesper Nørgaard wrote:

Some comments regarding these changes:
> There seems to be some differences between the encoding of the Palestine
> Rule in he TZ database with Steffen Thorsens website. If Steffen is
> taken as authority, the following changes should be made:
>
> -Rule Palestine	2006	only	-	Sep	22	0:00	0	-
> +Rule Palestine	2006	only	-	Sep	22	2:00	0	-

Regarding the 2006-change:
We have corrected to midnight on timeanddate.com, based on this article:
http://english.pnn.ps/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=596&Itemid=5
The Council of Ministers announced that this year its winter schedule
will begin early, as of midnight Thursday.

There is a chance the 2007 end time should be at midnight too, two hours
earlier than we currently have (since they tend to change their clocks
at midnight). I have not been able to find the exact time.
> -Rule Palestine	2006	2008	-	Apr	 1	0:00	1:00	S
> +Rule Palestine	2006	2007	-	Apr	 1	0:00	1:00	S
>
> -Rule Palestine	2009	max	-	Mar	lastFri	0:00	1:00	S
> +Rule Palestine	2008	max	-	Mar	lastFri	0:00	1:00	S

Regarding the March 2008-change:
Auto-translation from:
http://alaqsavoice.ps/arabic/index.php?action=detail&id=15364

The Information Office of the Secretariat of the Council of Ministers,
in a statement issued today, Tuesday, 25/3/2008, the clock will be one
hour, starting from midnight on Thursday, the twenty-seventh of the
month of March.

* The 2008-end date should probably be like this:
Rule Palestine 2008 only - Aug lastThu 24:00 0 -

based on sources such as
http://www.abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=5676087

The Palestinian militant group Hamas is ending daylight-saving time at
midnight Thursday in the Gaza Strip, which it controls — while the West
Bank, run by the rival Fatah faction, is waiting until midnight Sunday.

> -Rule Palestine	2009	max	-	Sep	lastMon	2:00	0	-
> +Rule Palestine	2009	max	-	Sep	lastMon	0:00	0	-
>
> The last rule change is especially controversial, since it has not happened
> yet and we only have a non-authoritative web article to support this.
> Actually I would say the Olson guess seems more likely from my own
> subjective view, but we may not care yet when there is no authoritative
> information.

Regarding the end date for 2009:
http://arabic.pnn.ps/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=50850

Auto-translation says:
The Cabinet has decided to start Daylight Time in Palestine by providing
the clock 60 minutes from midnight on Thursday, 26 March 2009 and
continue until this time the night of 27 September 2009.

Which I think means that they want to change back at midnight as well,
although there is a good chance they might decide for another date later.

Best regards,
Steffen Thorsen - timeanddate.com