permatime.com - a way of representing times as urls (using the tz database)

Tim Diggins tim at red56.co.uk
Thu Apr 23 22:33:22 UTC 2009

Hi -

just wanted to firstly, let you know of a simple web application, http://permatime.com
, that we launched a while ago, which relies on the tz database info
(via the ruby tzinfo library).
Many thanks to the tz database maintainers (and also to ruby's tzinfo
maintainers)!

Also...  I was wondering if anyone had any ideas if there is a public
domain source for mapping city names (and single timezone countries)
to timezones? We have manually added a few (including European single
timezone countries and some prominent Asian cities) as aliases of
timezones, but are always getting requests for a more comprehensive
set of cities.

kind regards

Tim

FYI: Permatime.com provides a way of representing times as urls, or
"permatimes".

Imagine you want to announce an event with participants across
different time zones. Simply set the time, in your time zone, and
permatime.com will generate a link for it. If you share this link with
others, they will see that time in their own local time zone (and any
other zones they choose). Use a permatime link to arrange a phone
call, timestamp a blog post, announce a webinar...

Practical permatime examples
	• http://permatime.com/US/Central/2008-12-04/11:00/37signals_live?link=http://live.37signals.comhttp://permatime.com/US/Central/2009-01-12/11:00/Next_teleconference