FW: Revision History of TZ database

Nathan Stratton Treadway nathanst at ontko.com
Wed Apr 29 16:15:14 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 16:11:02 +0200, Gunther Vermeir wrote:
> You might find this high level overview also useful:
> http://java.sun.com/javase/timezones/tzdata_versions.html

Yes, this is more or less exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks.

(The comments below are directed mostly at ADO and any others who have
write access to the tz project source repository: )

It still seems like it might be useful for there to be a "revision
history" file maintained as part of the tzdata package.  In my mind it
would contain summaries very similar to those found on the above page,
but if it were maintained as part of the "upstream" package then you
would be able to choose the wording of the summaries yourselves, and
also to update the summary as part of release each new version the
database (rather than a third party having to update their separate
table to reflect each new release sometime after the fact).

On the other hand, if you don't feel it's worth maintaining your own
list of changes, please consider adding a link to the above Java
tzdata_versions.html page to the tz-link.htm file.  I'm thinking the
link should go up in the "The tz database" section of the document,
since the point of the link is description the page provides of that
database (as opposed to the links lower down which highlight separate
"projects" that make use of the data in some way).

Perhaps right under the paragraph that starts out "The data are by no
means authoritative.", a new paragaph could be added saying something
along the lines of

   A summary of the timezone rule changes made in each particular
   version of the tz database can be found on the Java [Timezone Data
   Versions] page.

(where [...] indicates the link).

Thanks.

						Nathan