Proposed time zone package changes for West Bank (comment only) and Samoa

Arthur David Olson olsona at lecserver.nci.nih.gov
Mon Aug 31 16:31:47 UTC 2009

Below are proposed changes to the "australasia" file to reflect use of DST in
Samoa in 2009-2010, as well as a comment added to the "asia" file on DST in
the West Bank this year. The Samoa change may need tweaking once the actual
legislation (and the hour at which the changes take place) is in hand; there
may be a need to tweak the "asia" file once Gaza's DST end in 2009 is
determined.

If no problems are found, these changes will appear in the ftp packages on
2009-09-07.

Some long-term work is needed on the differences between West Bank time and
Gaza time.

				--ado

------- australasia -------
*** /tmp/geta10880	Mon Aug 31 12:25:41 2009
--- /tmp/getb10880	Mon Aug 31 12:25:41 2009
***************
*** 1,5 ****
  # <pre>
! # @(#)australasia	8.12
  # This file is in the public domain, so clarified as of
  # 2009-05-17 by Arthur David Olson.

--- 1,5 ----
  # <pre>
! # @(#)australasia	8.13
  # This file is in the public domain, so clarified as of
  # 2009-05-17 by Arthur David Olson.

***************
*** 443,452 ****
  # http://www.worldtimezone.com/dst_news/dst_news_samoa01.html
  # </a>

  Zone Pacific/Apia	 12:33:04 -	LMT	1879 Jul  5
  			-11:26:56 -	LMT	1911
  			-11:30	-	SAMT	1950		# Samoa Time
! 			-11:00	-	WST			# Samoa Time

  # Solomon Is
  # excludes Bougainville, for which see Papua New Guinea
--- 443,468 ----
  # http://www.worldtimezone.com/dst_news/dst_news_samoa01.html
  # </a>

+ # From Steffen Thorsen (2009-08-27):
+ # Samoa's parliament passed the Daylight Saving Bill 2009, and will start
+ # daylight saving time on the first Sunday of October 2009 and end on the
+ # last Sunday of March 2010. We hope that the full text will be published
+ # soon, but we believe that the bill is only valid for 2009-2010. Samoa's
+ # Daylight Saving Act 2009 will be enforced as soon as the Head of State
+ # executes a proclamation publicizing this Act.
+ #
+ # Some background information here, which will be updated once we have
+ # more details:
+ # <a href="http://www.timeanddate.com/news/time/samoa-dst-plan-2009.html">
+ # http://www.timeanddate.com/news/time/samoa-dst-plan-2009.html
+ # </a>
+
  Zone Pacific/Apia	 12:33:04 -	LMT	1879 Jul  5
  			-11:26:56 -	LMT	1911
  			-11:30	-	SAMT	1950		# Samoa Time
! 			-11:00	-	WST	2009 Oct 4
! 			-11:00	1:00	WSDT	2010 Mar 28
! 			-11:00	-	WST

  # Solomon Is

------- asia -------
*** /tmp/geta10818	Mon Aug 31 12:24:30 2009
--- /tmp/getb10818	Mon Aug 31 12:24:31 2009
***************
*** 1,5 ****
  # <pre>
! # @(#)asia	8.38

! # @(#)asia	8.39
  # This file is in the public domain, so clarified as of
  # 2009-05-17 by Arthur David Olson.

***************
*** 1836,1841 ****
--- 1836,1861 ----
  # http://www.worldtimezone.com/dst_news/dst_news_westbank01.html
  # </a>

+ # From Steffen Thorsen (2009-08-31):
+ # Palestine's Council of Ministers announced that they will revert back to
+ # winter time on Friday, 2009-09-04.
+ #
+ # One news source:
+ # <a href="http://www.safa.ps/ara/?action=showdetail&seid=4158">
+ # http://www.safa.ps/ara/?action=showdetail&seid=4158
+ # </a>
+ # (Palestinian press agency, Arabic),
+ # Google translate: "Decided that the Palestinian government in Ramallah
+ # headed by Salam Fayyad, the start of work in time for the winter of
+ # 2009, starting on Friday approved the fourth delay Sept. clock sixty
+ # minutes per hour as of Friday morning."
+ #
+ # We are not sure if Gaza will do the same, last year they had a different
+ # end date, we will keep this page updated:
+ # <a href="http://www.timeanddate.com/news/time/westbank-gaza-dst-2009.html">
+ # http://www.timeanddate.com/news/time/westbank-gaza-dst-2009.html
+ # </a>
+
  # The rules for Egypt are stolen from the `africa' file.
  # Rule	NAME	FROM	TO	TYPE	IN	ON	AT	SAVE	LETTER/S
  Rule EgyptAsia	1957	only	-	May	10	0:00	1:00	S

  # excludes Bougainville, for which see Papua New Guinea