Xinjiang

Scott Atwood scott.roy.atwood at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 17:54:06 UTC 2009

The tz homepage has a pretty good definition of what a "zone" is within the
context of the tz database:

Each location in the database represents a national region where all clocks
> keeping local time have agreed since 1970. Locations are identified by
> continent or ocean and then by the name of the location, which is typically
> the largest city within the region.

Although it is typically the case that tz database timezones are
non-overlapping, I don't think there is anything in the definition that
requires that they be.  So, two distinct populations in the same geographic
area that observe different clock conventions ought to have two distinct
time zones.  As we see in the case of Xinjiang, it makes the naming
convention a little tricky.

-Scott

--
Scott Atwood

The hill isn't in the way, it is the way.