Xinjiang

Tim Diggins tim at red56.co.uk
Mon Dec 7 19:39:02 UTC 2009

I'm not an expert in this area, but here are my observations from a
distance FWIW.

It seems like there's a problem with trying to find a "city in the
region" for the national/official timezone - the region for that is
the whole of china and the biggest city is Beijing. And according to
the article (and other journalistic sources), people seem to orient to
the "Xinjiang" (local) time and "Beijing" time.

On 7 Dec 2009, at 17:46, Eric Muller <emuller at adobe.com> wrote:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2000/11/19/world/defiant-chinese-muslims-keep-their-own-time.html

We already have a beijing time (or at least a PRC time). We need a
Xinjiang time. Why have a Wulumuqi time at all? There is no "separate
wulumuqi timezone".

Tim