problem with java tz database

Mamun Shaheed mamun.shaheed at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 06:13:54 UTC 2009

Dear all,
I was trying to modify the tzdatabase ($JRE_HOME/lib/zi/*) for JRE, but could not make it sucess. Here is what I have done so far...
    1. Downloaded the code and latest tzdata from ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/.
    2. Modified the asia file and insert my rule there.
    3. compile the file with zic.
    4. copy the compiled file and put in in $JRE_HOME/lib/zi/Asia/ of my windows pcs
    5. run the DSTTest file available in sun.com to check the time zone and got following error

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin>java DSTTest "12/30/2009 1:00 AM"
ZoneInfo: wrong magic number: Asia/Dhaka
ZoneInfo: wrong magic number: Asia/Dhaka
JRE version : 1.5.0_06
Wed Dec 30 01:00:00 GMT 2009
TimeZone tested : Greenwich Mean Time
Your tested time is not in daylight-savings time.

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin>

Please help me.

Mamun