proposed time zone package changes

Jonathan Leffler jonathan.leffler at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 14:01:51 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 7:30 AM, Olson, Arthur David (NIH/NCI) [E] <
olsona at dc37a.nci.nih.gov> wrote:

> In a "permanent DST" situation, a POSIX TZ string such as...
>        TZ=XDST9
> ...can get almost everything right, but the tm_isdst indicator in tm
> structs will end up being set to zero.

How significant is that one bit (or do I mean zero bit?)?

The purpose of tm_isdst is primarily to indicate which of two possible
timezone names (abbreviations) should be used, isn't it?  And if there is
only one, then having tm_isdst always set to zero will indicate "use the
only zone abbreviation", won't it?

--
Jonathan Leffler <jonathan.leffler at gmail.com>  #include <disclaimer.h>
Guardian of DBD::Informix - v2008.0513 - http://dbi.perl.org