Indiana (East) has no DST set in CLDR supplemental data

Mark Davis ⌛ mark at macchiato.com
Mon Jul 27 22:07:49 UTC 2009

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Searching in
http://unicode.org/cldr/data/common/supplemental/supplementalData.xml for
"GMT+5", I see:

*a windows mapping*
<mapZone other="US Eastern Standard Time" type="Etc/GMT+5"/>

>From the statement, it looks like the issue is with this line. I believe
that this was touched relatively recently by a Microsoft engineer. The
actual data is just mapping the windows ID "US Eastern Standard Time" to the
TZDB ID "Etc/GMT+5". I'm not sure what "Change the daylight flag." means,
since there is no daylight flag associated with Etc/GMT+5. But I'm not an
expert on this area, so I'll forward to people who are more conversant.

The item about Indiana is just a comment, and does look spurious: <!-- S
(GMT-05:00) Indiana (East) -->.

Mark

P.S. Note: there are other items mentioning GMT+5, but I think they are not
relevant:

*a zone item (territory and alias)*
<zoneItem type="Etc/GMT+5" territory="001" aliases="EST SystemV/EST5"/>

* a short-id mapping*
<typeMap type="Etc/GMT+5" bcp47="utcw05"/>