Will Samoa observe DST?

Gwillim Law RLAW at nc.rr.com
Thu Jul 30 23:35:06 UTC 2009

Last November, the Cabinet of (Western) Samoa approved the adoption of DST
from the first Sunday of October 2009 until the last Sunday of March 2010.
Alexander Krivenyshev notified the tz list on December 7, with the subject
line "Western Samoa may implement Daylight Saving Time in 2009". The tzdata
file hasn't reflected any such change yet.

I've just done a Web search for any further news. The only relevant articles
I could find were dated last November or December. Those articles speak of
the change as if it were a done deal; but some of them mention that the
Attorney General's office is charged with drafting the enabling legislation.

Has Samoa changed its mind and dropped the project? Is the legislation just
a formality that's assured of going through? It's a little more than two
months until the switch is due. I hope someone on the list is in a position
to check into the situation.

Gwillim Law