Generating "TZ" string from /etc/localtime?

Philip A. Prindeville philipp at redfish-solutions.com
Sun Mar 29 01:40:46 UTC 2009

Sorry if this is answered somewhere and I just haven't come across it.

I'm the lead developer for Astlinux:

http://www.astlinux.org

and we're using uClibc in an embedded Linux environment.  We need a way
of parsing out zoneinfo files (starting with whatever /etc/localtime
links to) and dumping out the string at the end:

I was looking in tzcode2009.tar.gz and couldn't find a function to parse
a tzfile... sort of the complement of writezone() in zic.c.

Also, are there any patches to make cross-compilation or packaging (a la
DESTDIR) easier?

Thanks,

-Philip