Jakarta is Indonesia West Time Not Central Time

Tim Diggins tim at red56.co.uk
Wed May 13 08:28:45 UTC 2009

Maybe I'm missing something - can someone explain what the
abbreviations are used for - the tzdata files seem to be based on City
or Country names (Europe/London etc), except in rare cases (that look
to me like anomalies).

In any case there are several other commonly used timezone
abbreviations which are ambiguous -  for example CST which is used in
australia to mean Australian Central Standard Time, but used in the US
to mean (US) Central Standard Time.