Xinjiang

OvV_HN ovv at hetnet.nl
Wed Nov 18 16:08:47 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Olson, Arthur David (NIH/NCI) [E]" <olsona at dc37a.nci.nih.gov>
To: "tz at elsie.nci.nih.gov" <tz at lecserver.nci.nih.gov>
Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 4:11 PM
Subject: Re: Xinjiang

> As I understand it, there are two groups (Han and Uyghur) in two different
> current time zone regions ("Asia/Urumqi" and "Asia/Kashgar") using
> different times.

Although a better transliteration of the "beautiful pasture" city would be
Ürümqi, the version without diacritics (Urumqi) is POSIX compatible and is
more or less acceptable.

Although Kashgar comes in the neighborhood of the actual pronunciation, it
hurts the eye.
Kaxgar would be better or else the Chinese pinyin transliteration Kashí, or
without diacritics: Kashi.
I would vote for Kaxgar.

Are there really any larger or more known cities in these regions?

Oscar van Vlijmen