growing opposition to DST in many Argentine Provinces

Mariano Absatz - El Baby baby at baby.com.ar
Thu Oct 8 20:43:11 UTC 2009

Alexander Krivenyshev escribió el 08/10/09 13:46:
> There is only some info 12/03/09 (not specific for provinces) from
> Ministerio de Defensa as No. 26.350:
>
> "In fulfillment of the Naval Observatory Buenos Aires (Onbaa) with the
> community, as established by law No. 26.350, the third Sunday in March of 2009
> at 00:00 pm, going back one hour on the spindle 3 west of Greenwich. This means
> that at 00:00 pm the 15th of March 2009, will be 23:00 pm the previous day. "
>
> http://www.hidro.gov.ar/Noticias/RENoticias.asp?idnot=197

Yeah, but that only refers to the last DST => nonDST transition last
March... it doesn't mention what they'll be doing this month... the
stupid Law passed in December 2007 (the infamous Law 26.350) states (in
Article 4th):

    El Poder Ejecutivo nacional fijará anualmente la fecha de iniciación
    y de terminación del período estival que corresponda.

    The National Executive Power will /yearly/ fix the beginning and
    ending dates for the corresponding summer period.

That is, the National Government must publish the date EVERY YEAR, thus
being able to CHANGE the date EVERY YEAR... and with the political
coming and goings, they don't do it in March, April or June, but rather,
1 or 2 days before the actual date (or, it has already happened, 1 or 2
days AFTER the fact)... THEN, the Provinces start coming or going with
the change, trying to balance the convenience of annoying the Federal
Government by not following it, or their own inhabitants for being in a
different timezone as Buenos Aires, or their own inhabitants for having
daylight at 11PM...

There is no single thinking human being in the Federal Government with
something of power to be able to do this right... where actually, right
would be what the Province of San Luis does (fixing normal tz at UTC-4
and using DST at UTC-3 with fixed day for the changes... IIRC, they use
the same changing dates as our neighbour, Chile).

--
Mariano Absatz - "El Baby"
baby at baby.com.ar
www.clueless.com.ar

An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes
that can be made in a very narrow field.
        Niels Bohr
        Danish physicist (1885 - 1962)