New home for time zone stuff by 2012?

Bennett, Billy Billy.Bennett at netapp.com
Mon Sep 7 10:50:16 UTC 2009

Robeert Elz said:

>> I know it isn't actually urgent just yet (given we apparently still
have another 2 years with ado managing things), but despite all the
discussion, and noise, we have still have absolutely zero volunteers for
someone to be the one who will take over from ado when he eventually
decides to step down.
>> Don't be shy, feel free to suggest yourself for the position...

I'm available.

Characteristics -
(1) I turn 50 on 5 Nov 2009 so I guess I can squeak in on the age
requirement.
(2) I'm married and have two teenage kids so I can take some abuse; but
I'm more used to being ignored than ignoring - I'll have to work on
that.
(3) I'm on the net at least a few hours every day

Ommissions -
(1) I have some c experience (coding professionally and personally since
1978), have read most of the tzcode archive and written some of my own
functions to use tzdata.
(2) I think there are enough download areas available that we wouldn't
need a company sponsorship.  I'd like to see multiple spots, like
sourceforge and savannah for example (these are just examples, the real
locations would be determined later).  If it is corporately owned, I'd
need to get a few assurances.

Positives -
(1) Of all the volunteers so far, I am undoubtedly the best qualified
(unfortunately, the same logic dictates I am undoubtedly the least
qualified but I won't mention that).

The list of positives will need to be revisited once the applicants come
pouring in.

Other -

The original email listed a few additional items:

	Data maintenance - this would be the timezone data, I can write
the rules as needed.
	Data distribution - this would be the download server, as I said
above I'd like to see a couple of public areas and some volunteer
mirrors
	Code maintenance - I would set this up under the version control
system available at the server hosting the files
	Code distribution - cvs and subversion would allow code to be
fetched, as well as the tarfile typically provided for download
	Mailing list maintenance - have run majordomo and postman
mailing list servers before, would likely use the home of the repository
if it provided such a thing
	Mailing list hosting - same as maintenance above, most services
like sourceforge and savannah do provide some mailing list capability
	Standards work (for example, tweaking POSIX TZ environment
variables so Godthab can be represented) - this would need to be group
work, not just me
	Code enhancement (for example, year zero work and Julian
calendar work)- I can work on this, but as above would like group input.

And wrt to the ps from Mr. Elz regarding umbrella organisations, I am in
complete agreement.

Thanks,
=Billy Bennett