[somehow OT] "undoing" manual tzdata compilation on a Mac

Luther Ma ma.lude.xj at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 02:53:04 UTC 2010

Hi Mario,

If you were able to compile the tzdata2009p on the mac os x, then you
should be able to download an earlier version of tzdata and compile
that to restore the mac. If you want to use the "original" files and
don't have a mac than hasn't been updated, you can also download
earlier updates or the original install software (depending on how far
back you have to go) and then use a utility like Pacifist to extract
the Argentina tz fille.

The mac does behave very wacky if the ICU database and the tzdata
don't agree, different parts of the system reading from one or the
other, and some from a combination of the two! If you would like to
learn how to compile the mac ICU database I can point you to some
links and share some of my experience (off list, unless others would
consider it a suitable list topic). I do this myself to support Macs
that are running XJ time, still not incorporated into official
databases.

Please let me know where I might be able to help with more detailed
directions,
-Luther