Time format error in Olson TZ rules for Asia

lennox at cs.columbia.edu lennox at cs.columbia.edu
Tue Apr 27 14:48:19 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, April 27 2010, "Olson, Arthur David (NIH/NCI) [E]" wrote to "'tz at elsie.nci.nih.gov'" saying:

> > ...perhaps we should add a
> > little more generalisation (somehow) to handle more odd cases like this
> > so we have distributed code that can handle it, well before any government
> > decides to do something like
> >
> > 	at 02:00 on the Friday after the last Thursday in March
>
> For this particular case, I've jumped in my time machine and changed the timezone compiler so that a rule such as...
>
> 	Rule whatever 2010 max - Mar Fri>=26 2:00 1:00 D
>
> ...does the right thing.

This is correct if you interpret the "in March" part of the rule as applying
to the Friday, not the Thursday.  However, I think Robert was asking what we
would do if Jordan changed their rule to transition at 2:00 AM, the day
after the last Thursday in March, even in years when that's April 1st.

--
Jonathan Lennox
lennox at cs.columbia.edu