proposed time zone package changes (revised)

Jonathan Leffler jonathan.leffler at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 07:38:08 UTC 2010

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 2:25 PM, Edwin Groothuis <edwin at mavetju.org> wrote:

> Jonathan Leffler <jonathan.leffler <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > You could avoid the cast by using:    return strcpy(buf, "??? ??? ??
> ??:??:??
> ????\n");This is one of the few occasions when the return value from
> strcpy()
> actually is useful.
>
> I have a hard time finding a gcc option to enable these "returned value not
> used" warnings which would need this cast... :-)

There are other tools than GCC for measuring the 'quality' of code - and
some of them get antsy (or, more accurately, used to get antsy) about not
using the values returned by a function, the obvious example being 'lint'.
On the whole, GCC does a good job of not whingeing when it isn't necessary;
not all analysis programs have such good heuristics.

I seldom use 'lint' these days (as in, I'm not sure when I did last use it).
I had to check whether it was available on MacOS X and to my not very big
surprise, it is not, but it tends to be available on the classic versions of
Unix derived from AT&T System V.

--
Jonathan Leffler <jonathan.leffler at gmail.com>  #include <disclaimer.h>
Guardian of DBD::Informix - v2008.0513 - http://dbi.perl.org