proposed time zone package changes for Dhaka and Mexico

Gwillim Law RLAW at nc.rr.com
Thu Jan 7 03:27:04 UTC 2010

Tijuana doesn't split into Tijuana and Ensenada. The report in El Financiero
cited by Steffen Thorsen says:

"Para tal efecto se incluyen a los municipios fronterizos ubicados en la
franja norte del territorio comprendido entre la línea internacional y la
paralela ubicada a una distancia de 20 kilómetros hacia el interior del
país, incluyendo a la ciudad de Ensenada, Baja California."

"To this effect [harmonizing the Mexican DST schedule with the U.S.], border
municipios located in the northern strip of territory between the
international border and a parallel line 20 km. toward the country's
interior are covered, including the city of Ensenada, Baja California."

According to the tz database, Ensenada, Mexicali, San Felipe and Tijuana
followed U.S. rules from 1976 to 1996. In this new system, Ensenada,
Mexicali, Tecate and Tijuana will all be following U.S. rules: Ensenada
because it's specifically mentioned, and the other three because they're
adjacent to the U.S. border. There are only five municipios in Baja
California Norte: those four, and Playas de Rosarito. Playas de Rosarito is
relatively small and insignificant. It's tempting to conclude that all of
Baja California Norte is going on the new plan; or possibly that there's a
local option, as we think there was in 1976-1996. In the absence of further
details, it might be safer to guess that America/Tijuana is going to remain
intact.

Gwillim Law