Time zone confusion and implementation hints

Bill Seymour stdbill.h at pobox.com
Fri Jul 2 20:34:46 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 2:42 PM, Yves Goergen
<nospam.list at unclassified.de> wrote:
> On 02.07.2010 20:21 CE(S)T, Bill Seymour wrote:
>> Attached is my understanding of the format of the binaries.
>
> Ehm, where's the time zone name? Does the binary file only contain a
> single time zone?

Yes, and the time zone name is the file name.  The '/' characters
in the time zone name are Unix directory separators.  My understanding
is that the directory where all the tz binaries reside can be found in
some environment variable...I'm not sure which one, but I imagine
others can tell you.

In that directory, there will be, for example, a subdirectory named
"Pacific", and in that subdirectory, there will be a file named
"Honolulu".  That's the time zone binary for Hawaii.

If a time zone name has three elements, that just indicates
another level of subdirectories.  For example, America has
four subdirectories, Argentina, Indiana, Kentucky, and
North_Dakota.  North_Dakota contains two files, Center
and New_Salem.

TZ gurus:  did I get all that right?

--Bill