Time zone confusion and implementation hints

Yves Goergen nospam.list at unclassified.de
Tue Jul 6 16:43:12 UTC 2010

On 06.07.2010 18:22 CE(S)T, Alan Barrett wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Jul 2010, Yves Goergen wrote:
>> I didn't know what zic does, I didn't know the format of
>> those generated files nor where the specification of the input files is,
>
> The format of the input is documented in the zic(8) man page.  The
> format of the output is documented in the tzfile(5) man page.

Oh, yes, sorry, I forgot. This is classic Unix/Linux. Here's no fancy
web pages yet that could welcome and inform the user efficiently. Here's
manpages, C codes and scattered text files in archives that you first
need to download. Have I overlooked something?

I understand that maintaining a more or less beautiful but more
importantly informative website causes work, but so does answering
e-mails which again seemed feasible. It's the overview that lacks here.
I could read all pieces but would still not know how they work together
and what their intention is.

Anyway, it was just a suggestion. You already helped me and I'm thankful
for that.