FW: Revisiting Australian time zone abbreviations

Edwin Groothuis edwin at mavetju.org
Mon Jun 14 10:55:13 UTC 2010

(Also cc-ed to Richard Stanway)

Olson, Arthur David (NIH/NCI) [E] <olsona <at> dc37a.nci.nih.gov> writes:

> The last discussion on AEST vs EST seems to be about 9 years old and I figured
> it was time to revisit the subject
> now that there seems to be an official source. The government website of
> Australia states the time zone
> names for Australia are Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST), Australian
> Central Standard Time
> (ACST) and Australian Western Standard Time (AWST) with Australian Eastern
> Daylight Time (AEDT) and
> Australian Central Daylight Time (ACDT) when observing daylight saving time.
> Reference: http://australia.gov.au/about-australia/our-country/time
>
> Any chance of these official names making it into a zoneinfo update?

I've asked the people who manage that website about an official document stating
the names of the timezones and they referred me to the Bureau of Meteorology who
haven't come back to be (it was earlier last month).

The biggest problem most likely is that it is not a federal issue but a state
issue (http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/dst_times.shtml):

NSW says at
http://www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/Lawlink/cru/ll_cru.nsf/pages/cru_daylightsaving:
NSW legislation does not specify abbreviations for standard or summer time.
EST denotes Eastern Standard Time. Summertime or daylight saving time is commonly
expressed as EDST (eastern daylight saving time).

ACT says at http://www.cmd.act.gov.au/communication/holidays nothing about
the abbrevations.
VIC says at http://www.vic.gov.au/daylight-saving-in-victoria.html nothing about
the abbrevations.
Same with SA at http://www.safework.sa.gov.au/show_page.jsp?id=2675 and the
underlaying links.

I have also shot the question to the Australian Standards people at
http://www.standards.org.au/ and the National Measurement Institute at
http://www.measurement.gov.au/ (follow up from the National
Standards Commision who wrote this article
http://web.archive.org/web/20040602010849/http://www.nsc.gov.au/
PDF_WORD/Info/L08.pdf which
has the long abbrevations in it). I hope I will get an answer from either of
them....

Edwin