time zone database open questions (update on Windsor)

Chris Walton Chris.Walton at telus.com
Tue Nov 9 04:03:20 UTC 2010

In reference to Mark Brader's comments on the use of Standard Time in Windsor, Ontario, Canada:

I don't have any official information to offer... but I did a quick Google search and came up some tidbits.
It would appear that Windsor may have kept its clocks in sync with Detroit for at least some of the 1960s, but by 1970 Windsor had its clocks synced with the rest of Ontario.
Since the cut off rule for the TZ database is 1970 we likely don't need a special time zone file for Windsor.

http://www.slaw.ca/2010/11/08/the-law-of-time/
This article was posted today!
Look at Comment #1 (half way through the page); it includes the following text:
   ' I recall listening to Windsor radio in the 1960s (CKLW),
     and Windsor kept on standard time all summer because
     Detroit did. '

http://boards.radio-info.com/smf/index.php?action=printpage;topic=120785.0
Note that posting from Radio Fish Heads; referring to radio broadcasts from CKLW in 1970.  It includes this text:
    ' ... CKLW with Hal Martin; its 9 o'clock in Detroit,
      10 o'clock in Windsor ( or soemthing like that ), and the
      Motown music cooked my car speaker....... '

http://www.reelradio.com/bt/jjcklw71.html
Supposedly you can pay $15.00 to download a CKLW recording from 1971.
I decided that I did not want to hear it that badly!
But note the comment in the first paragraph of text; it reads:
   ' Since Detroit was one of the few major cities that
     refused to go along with the Daylight Savings Time
     scheme, the CKLW jocks frequently had to announce
     the time twice. '

http://www.internationalmetropolis.com/?p=455
Note the caption under the Tom Jones Ticket; it reads:
   ' A ticket to see Tom Jones from 1972. Note
     the ticket states "Detroit Time", as back then,
     Daylight Savings Time wasn't always consistent,
     so there could be an hour difference between
     Windsor and Detroit. '

-chris