FW: stack overflow in tzload

Christos Zoulas christos at zoulas.com
Tue Nov 23 04:28:05 UTC 2010

On Nov 22,  4:44pm, eggert at cs.ucla.edu (Paul Eggert) wrote:
-- Subject: Re: FW: stack overflow in tzload

| Surely this sort of change should be put in only conditionally.
| On most machines, the change would will slow performance down due to the
| malloc overhead and would add one more point of failure.
| Only on machines with tiny stacks is the change a win.

Sure, but these days the cost of malloc is really small, and having more
ifdefs in the code just cause more maintenance. So we either adopt the
change, or we just tell Ted that if you run with < 256K of stack you
can expect lots of things to break - not just that - so give yourself more
stack. Having said that I am in the malloc camp (and we should unif the
code -DALL_STATE).

christos