About China time zones

Luther Ma ma.lude.xj at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 05:12:33 UTC 2010

If there is to be only one alternative to choose from, then I
certainly welcome your offer to finally incorporate Xinjiang Time that
you made last November.

My objections were premised on the idea that you might be willing to
modify your proposal 1) to be politically correct for China and not
attach ethnically colored labels even though we realize that time zone
usage is primarily ethnically determined. (As I mentioned the time
zones in China are rather referred to in a neutral way by geographical
names regardless of their translation. -- your proposal, on the other
hand, besides being ethnically colored, actually goes strongly against
local Han usage which considers Wulumuqi Time to be identical to
Xinjiang Time +0600 UTC), and 2) to consider the ramifications for
tzdata implementations when there are two competing names for one
geographical point.

My own preference was to keep the change simple and, as much as
possible, to conform to popular usage.

I am still hoping that you would consider these issues, and of course,
am hoping to one day see XJ Time in tzdata (and not just in the
comments)

-mld