About China time zones

Luther Ma ma.lude.xj at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 02:10:36 UTC 2010

Yes, Alan, you read me correctly.

My suggestion is just to change Urumqi/Asia so that it remains on UTC
+6:00 (instead of moving to +8:00 after May 1980). Even though a large
part of the population in Urumqi use +8:00 (aka Beijing time) they
still know (and officially recognize) Urumqi time (aka Wulumuqi time
aka Xinjiang time) as +6:00.

I suggested the abbreviation XJT since that is universally understood
by all ethnicities and most commonly used, but the pre-1980
abbreviation, URUT is also fine.

-mld

Kashgar/Asia would of course follow suite.