Irkutsk and Ulan-Ude didn't change time zone, same MSK+5. New Russia map without DST.

David Patte dpatte at relativedata.com
Tue Apr 5 15:22:48 UTC 2011

On Apr 5, 2011, at 10:19 AM, Andy Lipscomb wrote:
>> "Is there any one person (or subgroup of people) within the TZ Group
>> who is (are) advocating that time zones be pulled out of the UTC offset
>> and that time zones be known simply as TZ 1-to-24?
>>
>> My reference on this topic is within the right column of this page:
>> http://smallbusinessschool.org/page2424.html
>>
>> Is this a silly concept?  Is so, I would be very interested to learn why..
>> Thank you.

It is obvious there would still be issues for locations that arent
exactly on the specified 24 zones, or would still be in
negatively-numbered zones.

But if such a suggestion started to be considered seriously, the
following three suggestions for further improvement immediately come to
mind:
1) The first zone at the date line should be called zone 0:00, not tz 1.
2) To ease the conversion from longitudes, all geographic longitudes
should then be moved, at the same time, to the dateline, measuring all
longitudes as positive from 0, as is done for most other astronomical
measurements.
3) Finally, we should also mandate that all world clocks start to
measure time in arcseconds, arcminutes and degrees instead of seconds,
minutes and hours to insure that no one has to divide by 15 ever again. :)

Sounds like way too big a change for the very minimal advantage of
having less negatively-number zones, though it might temporarily
stimulate the economy for mapmakers, clock makers, gps vendors,
geography teachers, and insurance companies, if that is the primary
goal. :)

--
[X] Strategic Vote - No More Harper Government