Novosibirsk with 2 times zones till early 1920's, not till 1957

Alexander Krivenyshev worldtimezone at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 21 04:20:01 UTC 2011

Olson, Arthur David (NIH/NCI) [E] <olsona <at> dc37a.nci.nih.gov> writes:

> I'm forwarding this message from Mark Brader, who is not on the time zone
mailing list. Those of you who are on
> the list, please direct replies appropriately.
>
>         --ado

Novosibirsk and its outskirts used to have 2 time zones for just few years
(from 1919 to the early 1920's), not till 1957 ...

Russia implemented 11 time zones in 1919 and it is true, that one of the time
zone pass right along the river Ob' - dividing
Novosibirsk (population around 80,000 that time)  with its outskirts (probably
small village, which later became one of the Novosibirsk "borough").

At that time, there was no road bridge (only railroad bridge), and most of
people live their lives without much inconvenience.

Time was changed in the early 1920's - not in 1957.

(in Russian, use Google translation):

http://muzey-factov.ru/3689

http://nsk.nxn.ru/Time/

http://znaeteli.ru/2010/02/odin-gorod-%E2%80%93-dva-chasovyx-poyasa/
or

http://nsk.kp.ru/daily/24590.5/759809/

First auto-tram-pedestrian Municipal (Communal or October) bridge over the Ob
river was finished at late 1955 connecting 2 "boroughs".

See photos of that Municipal bridge and construction history  (1951-1955):
http://gelio-nsk.livejournal.com/130949.html

http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9A%D0%BE%D0%BC%D0%BC%D1%83%D0%BD%D0%B0%D0%BB%
D1%8C%D0%BD%D1%8B%D0%B9_%D0%BC%D0%BE%D1%81%D1%82_(%D0%9D%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%BE%D1%
81%D0%B8%D0%B1%D0%B8%D1%80%D1%81%D0%BA)

There is always media exaggeration about Siberia:
- Novosibirsk with 2 time zones till 1957-  (Toronto Globe and Mail April 25,
1957) - not true ;
- lots of snow (only when snow blown into drifts)- Chicago has more snowfall at
one time (lake-effect snow), then most of Siberia regions (away from oceans,
semiarid climate type) ;
- only cold in Siberia (many places in Siberia regions reach 35-40°C(100°F) in
the summer, with average summer range from 20 to 25°C (75°F) ;

Alexander Krivenyshev- born in Siberia,
http://www.worldtimezone.com